The International Symposium will take place in Palazzo Barberini, currently hosting the National Gallery of Ancient Art (galleriabarberini.beniculturali). The event will be hosted in Palazzo Barberini thanks to the generous permission received by the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage & Activities & Tourism (MiBACT) through the Director of the Gallery, Ms. Flaminia Gennari Santori.
The Palace was built as private residence of the Barberini, an aristocratic family whom the cardinal Maffeo Barberini belonged to. Already famous for his arts patronage, once Maffeo Barberini became Pope Urban VIII in 1623, he decided to start building a sumptuous palace able to compete with the residences of the most eminent roman families and to showcase the importance reached by the Barberini.,
The works for the construction of Palazzo Barberini started in 1627, under the direction of the architect Carlo Maderno (1556-1629): the first design was implemented following the traditional quadrangular scheme, typical of renaissance palaces, to be in this case overlapped to the existing Villa Sforza. This initial idea was then changed in a more complex plan that, including some exceptional architectural elements, allowed Palazzo Barberini to be conceived as ‘Palazzo-Villa’, acting at the same time as private sumptuous residence of the Papal family and suburban villa.
After Carlo Maderno passed away in 1629, the direction of the works was given to Gianlorenzo Bernini (1598-1680), while the group of artists involved in completing the works also included Francesco Borromini (1599-1667). The presence of a previous project designed by Maderno makes quite difficult and controversial the chance of having clear attributions for a number of architectural and structural parts.
Palazzo Barberini can be considered as one of the most significant examples of baroque palaces in Italy and abroad, well-testified by the influence of the palace in particular and of Barberini’s arts patronage in general for some of the main contemporary courts.
After being sold to private owners and divided in single property units, Palazzo Barberini was acquired by the Italian Government in 1949 to become the National Gallery of Ancient Art. After a long programme of conservation, consolidation and rehabilitation directly implemented by the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage & Activities & Tourism (MiBACT), the Palace has been brought back to its original status of sumptuous place built to celebrate the esthetic of art.
The International Symposium will be hosted in the so-called ‘Sala Pietro da Cortona’, cornerstone of the palace plan used as representative space during the Barberini times. The room is characterized by the presence of a vaulted ceiling painted by Pietro da Cortona between 1632 and 1639 with a rich and famous fresco, entitled the ‘Trionfo della Divina Provvidenza’, celebrating the glorification of both the Pope and the Barberini family.
Palazzo Barberini is located in Via delle Quattro Fontane 13, 00184, Rome Italy, few meters away from Piazza Barberini.
Phone: +39 064814591